Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sisterlocks in photos

This photo represents my feeble attempt to curl the thicker locks. As you see, the curls are fewer, less dense, they separate and they don't last. I attempted to curl them much tighter than they appear here. This photo was taken before I took out the first 2 rows of locks and adding a little color. In the next photo, my first two rows are new locks. (Locks were picked out and replaced - a long tedious process.)
This photo was taken after my crown locks were combined. I took out the top two rows of about 5 "combined" locks and replaced them with about 13 new thinner locks. At the top, I no longer have the fullness shown in photos below.






What I enjoyed most about my locks was the ability to wear my hair forward. My top locks were thin and there were many giving me great styling flexibility.




8 comments:

Felicia said...

Boy, do I really appreciate the time and effort that you took to share your sisterlock journey, both the good and the bad. I have been sisterlocked for 6 months and had debated on whether or not I should take the retightning class. I am now looking forward to it. Thanks again for sharing your story!

Chasity said...

You and your hair are gorgeous! I can't wait until I reach the 1 year point.

Chloe Bee said...

OMG I adore your hair. i love that you have beautiful silver locks... I cant wait it i do. Even though I'm 23 I'm actively ensuring I will have beautiful silver locks by not dying my hair...and keeping it healthy. Thank you for creating this blog and best of luck!

Chloe Bee said...

BtW its cool that you play the cello I used to and want to seriously take it up again...

Olivia Shaw's blog said...

Chloe .. Please pick up your cello again. Get with musician friends and have fun!

Felicia - When you take the class, don't be frustrated that you're may be slow at it. Like doing needlework, the more you do it, the faster you will become... good luck.. I will check out your site.

Chastity - thanks!

A Sista Who Locked said...

Your hair LOOKS AMAZING!!! I love it!

Nubian1 said...

Olivia Hi

I notice you're growing your grey hair out???? It looks lovely and in many ways you are inspiring me to grow mine out.

Can you shed a little light on how you're doing it??

At present am toning my colours down two shades at time to hopefully get to a place where the grey would blend into the colour and i can eventually stop colouring.

Many thanks.

Olivia Shaw's blog said...

Nubian1 - Sorry I'm just responding but I've been away from this blog for some time.

As for growing out my gray, I just did it! At first, I used a coloring stick but after it grows to a certain length, the sticks are too messy. The pain of transitioning is the reason I have decided to no longer cover the grey. Once you start coloring, you are constantly fighting with grey roots. Growing it out means, based on the length of your hair, you will have to tolerate two shades of color for a period of time. After it grows out, it will look much nicer. Like starting locks, it is an exercise in patience! Good Luck!